The One-Mile Telescope at the Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory was completed by the Radio Astronomy Group of Cambridge University in 1964. It is an array of radio telescopes , one moveable, and two fixed fully steerable 60-ft-diameter paraboloids operating simultaneously at 1407 and 408 Mhz, designed to perform aperture synthesis interferometry. The telescope is made up of three 120 ton dishes, each of which is 18 metres in diameter. Two of the dishes are fixed, while the third can be moved along an 800 metre long rail track at speeds of up to 6.4 km/h. Though still occasionally used, it is now essentially retired. There were 60 different stations along the track, which is straight to within 0.9 cm, and whose far end was raised by 5 cm to allow for the curvature of the Earth over its length.


Office for design strategy    |    roy fleetwood    |   innovation    |    illumination    |     imagination    |    inspiration    |    contact    |    home